Since I wrote last, Mercy Ships has delayed sail to Madagascar twice for unforeseeable complications, which has honestly caused a bit of anxiety on my end. I've been continually reminded of how much is outside my control and am praying daily for God to increase my faith and trust in this journey. There is a great leadership team that's been tirelessly at work to get us to port in Tamatave as quickly as possible. It looks like we should be boarding the ship by September 1st. Until then, I'll be housed in the capital city with many of my fellow MS volunteers.
It's hard to believe this day is here. After months of planning & years of dreaming, I am finally en route to Madagascar to work with Mercy Ships (somebody pinch me). Over the past few days, I think I've gone through what seems like every emotion imaginable. I've done everything I know to prepare and now all that's left to do is, well, do this thing. There is so much unknown about what lies ahead - it's intimidating and scary and bursting with possibility.
The past few months have been a whirlwind: graduating from NP school, preparing for & taking my board exams, quitting a job I loved, backpacking through Europe, taking a cross country road trip, moving back to SLC, interviewing for NP jobs, signing on a big dotted line, saying goodbye to my sister and brother-in-law as they moved to Chicago, and now jetting off for 4 months to live and work on a floating hospital ship in Africa! Oofta! As fun and amazing as all that has been, there has been a lot of transition in my life in a relatively short period of time. To be candid, these last few months have left my head and heart reeling a bit. Recently I've found myself thinking, "God, I just don't know if I'm ready for this. I don't know if I can handle another big change." And He continues to press back, "Jarah, do you believe that I'm enough for you? Trust me, take this step and trust me." So that's what I'm doing... Fully recognizing that none of us ever feel ready for something as big as this, I'm stepping out in faith and trusting the One who promises to walk with me.
Again, I just wanted to say how incredibly grateful & humbled I am by the lavish support I've received in preparation for this journey. For all of you who have prayed for me, contributed financially, offered wise words or timely encouragement, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am honored that you would join me in this work!
Until next time,
Jarah

2 comments:
Be brave! We are SO proud of you, Jarah!
Jarah! Miss you dearly and praying that you have a safe adventure.... you are ready for this and are going to be great. Every patient that you touch is blessed to have you as their caregiver :) Love, Rachel
Post a Comment