Happy Thanksgiving, sweet family & friends!
This morning a group of us gathered in the crew kitchen to throw together a few casseroles & bake a couple pies. It felt like a piece of home to be busy in the kitchen alongside people I love - peeling potatoes, singing Christmas songs, laughing at silly jokes and rolling out pie crusts. As I opened the oven to pull out the perfectly golden pies, the smell of warm cinnamon and pumpkin gave me a twinge of homesickness for the first time since my feet hit African soil back in August.
Some days living across the globe on a ship feels a little crazy. Some days it just feels impossibly far from home, from so many of the people and places I love. On those days I do my best to take a minute to pause and remember why I'm here, to recalibrate my heart. I tripped across a picture of one of our orthopedic patients today, sweet little Dians. In an instant my heart filled with gratefulness as my eyes filled with tears.
I mean, just look at this face.
It's incredible to think about the transformation that's happening in her life, even as I sit on my bunk typing away. Multiply that by hundreds of other beautiful people, and it's nothing short of overwhelming. I'm so thankful to be here in Madagascar witnessing God's redemptive work in the lives of so many, including my own. I'm so thankful for His unwavering goodness in my life & in this world. Know that I'm grateful for each and every one of you too - for your support, for playing a part in giving me roots and wings.
I'm wishing you all the happiest of Thanksgivings.
May God give you the eyes to see His goodness & grace in your life, today and always.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"O My God, Thou fairest, greatest, first of all objects,
my heart admires, adores, loves thee,
for my little vessel is as full as it can be,
and I would pour out all that fullness before thee
in ceaseless flow.
When I think upon and converse with thee
ten thousand delightful thoughts spring up,
ten thousand sources of pleasure are unsealed,
ten thousand refreshing joys spread over my heart,
crowding into every moment of happiness.
I bless thee for the soul thou hast created,
for adorning it, sanctifying it,
though it is fixed in barren soil;
for the body thou hast given me,
for preserving its strength and vigour,
for providing senses to enjoy delights,
for the ease and freedom of my limbs,
for hands, eyes, ears that do thy bidding;
for thy royal bounty providing my daily support,
for a full table and overflowing cup,
for appetite, taste, sweetness,
for social joys of relatives and friends,
for ability to serve others,
for a heart that feels sorrows and necessities,
for a mind to care for my fellow-men,
for opportunities of spreading happiness around,
for loved ones in the joys of heaven,
for my own expectation of seeing thee clearly.
I love thee above the powers of language
to express,
for what thou art to thy creatures.
Increase my love, O my God, through time
and eternity."
- Valley of Vision (Book of Puritan Prayers)


No comments:
Post a Comment