wednesday (1/28)
Amanda and I had our first experience at our home "cell-group." The church congregation is divided into different groups that meet throughout the week for fellowship and bible studies. Our group is very diverse. Despite the differences in age, race and walks of life; this group is incredibly cohesive. It was such a blessing to witness how they shared their lives together - they were honest with their pains and struggles and joys. Their deep love for each other is so apparent... I am still chewing on this one.
thursday (1/29)
Spent the day cleaning our house & doing laundry - definitely a challenge to do laundry here!
friday (1/30)
We experienced our first missionary meeting in the morning. Afterward, Amanda and I had lunch with Miss Phyllis at a cute little tea room a few miles from our apartment (you would've loved it, mom). Then, the three of us stopped by the church to do some prayer walking. The biggest highlight of the day was that night at youth... we finally got to meet the kids we've been praying over for months. We played games and then had a worship/teaching time. I only remember a handful of their names, but I think they've already stolen my heart. I am REALLY looking forward to getting to know them...
saturday (1/31)
Where to begin? It was Stacie's (one of the full-time missionaries) birthday, so a big group of us set out for a day of adventure. Here's a short recap:
- Lion Park: I got to feed giraffes, play with baby lion cubs, and drive through the lion camps (definitely the best part of the day... pics below)
- Crocodile Farm: held a baby crocodile, a very large python and a tarantula
- Lunch at a local Thai food restaurant (amazing!)
- Concert - really fun to hear a local jo-burg band!
Today was our first Sunday at Lyndhurst Baptist Church. We were introduced to the congregation - they were all super sweet and welcoming. It was so great to see how they worship and pray and teach - it's very different, but so beautiful! The youth time was small, only about 5 kids showed up... Amanda and I have our work cut out for us, but we see so much potential in this group!
A big group of us are staying up to watch the superbowl tonight (from 2 a.m. to 5 a.m our time). We have another busy week ahead... I am excited to see what it will hold.
may God's grace and peace be with you,
Jarah
Isaiah 26:8 - Lord, we show our trust in you by obeying your laws; our heart's desire is to glorify your name.
No comments:
Post a Comment