For a season, this was a creative and open space for me. Nearly three years ago I pulled Bright Red Cords from public view. Like many of you, I've taken a step back from various social media platforms that I initially plunged into - blogging being one of them. At the time, I had grown weary of blog culture and felt that I was simply adding to the noise. It seemed that every blog I followed was written by a gorgeous crossfit-doing-coupon-clipping-book-writing-clothes-styling-cupcake-baking-bible-memorizing-home-schooling-essential oil-selling freelance photographer who wrote about their extraordinary "ordinary" lives. And, well, it became exhausting. I decided to bow out, frustrated by the lack of authenticity and desperately looking to escape the endless comparison trap.
Therein lies the struggle with social media: though constantly in contact with others, we feel lonely and abandoned and painfully unknown.
With that being said, I still follow a good number of blogs and have discovered a lot of valuable, life-giving content. In no way am I slamming bloggers. If anything, I want to encourage you. Write. Do your thing and do it well. I've had to wrestle with the tension and role of social media in my life and I hope you have too.
I don't intend to keep this blog rolling for long. Honestly I questioned whether or not to start it up at all, but I am headed out for another adventure abroad and this has proven to be one of the best routes of communication. I hope to utilize it to keep my friends and family updated as I spend the latter half of this year in Africa [more details on this soon].
More and more, I desire to live a honest, quiet and deeply rooted life. I don't care to reach the blogosphere or gain a following of strangers. I don't want to be motivated by likes or shares or pins. If you choose to follow along, I ask that you do so only if these words and stories are an encouragement to you. If my words make you feel weary, for whatever reason, please bow out. I've been there and I understand. Go spend your time on connections that are life-giving for YOU. I want you to live a good story. Thanks for following along as I seek to live mine out with integrity and courage.
“You either walk inside your story and own it,
or you stand outside your story and hustle for your worthiness.”
-Brené Brown
No comments:
Post a Comment