As many of you know, I've spent the past 4 years living in Durham, North Carolina. My time here has been full of so many wonderful experiences. I have absolutely cherished my role as a nurse in the pediatric bone marrow transplant unit and, most recently, the pediatric float pool. It’s truly been a joy to walk with patients and families through some of their deepest victories and heartaches. As much as I try, it’s difficult for words to fully explain how much I’ve learned and what an honor it has been to work with these brave kids.
Just a few weeks ago, I also graduated from Duke with a master’s degree in family nursing practice. Graduate school is one of the best and hardest things I’ve done. I’m excited to step into the role of a nurse practitioner, but before I do that, God has challenged me to use the gifts and talents he’s given me as a medical professional to serve His kingdom. Now is the time! After an intense season of preparation, I’m looking forward to serving with Mercy Ships in Tamatave, Madagascar from August - December of this year. I could not be more excited to live and work on this floating hospital ship!
Mercy Ships has been operating a fleet of hospital ships in developing countries since 1978. Following the 2000-year-old example of Jesus, Mercy Ships brings hope and healing to the forgotten poor, mobilizing people and resources worldwide. Mercy Ships relies on a team of volunteer crew members who pay their own room and board, travel and personal expenses while serving. This allows general Mercy Ships donations to be used for direct patient care, community development programs and other costs associated with its Field Service initiatives. From doctors to nurses, engineers to deck hands, housekeepers and teachers, everyone serves as a volunteer. I will be working as a pediatric ward nurse onboard the ship where I’ll be caring for surgical patients who’ve undergone maxillofacial and orthopedic procedures.
Since Mercy Ships requires that I raise 100% of my support, I will need to raise $6,500 by July 31, 2015 to fully meet my needs. I invite you join me on this journey by supporting me through prayer and, if possible, through financing. If you would like to partner with me in this endeavor you can give a tax-deductible gift by clicking HERE to link to my fundraising webpage.
OR, If you prefer, you may also write a personal check to Mercy Ships - please write my full name & designation code (#4027) in the memo line and mail to the address below:
Mercy Ships
P.O. Box 1930
Garden Valley, TX 75771-1930
Thank you for your time and prayerful consideration of partnering with me in this exciting new venture. I appreciate your prayers and support in this work and look forward to sharing stories with you along the way (check back often for updates or subscribe via email on the right sidebar).
Love and blessings,
Jarah

No comments:
Post a Comment