you never know what you're gonna get...

2.09.2009

I don't even know where to begin... this week has been super busy. I am pretty sure that my time here will never be characterized by normalcy or routine... we're always doing something new and different!

A big part of our time this week was spent remodeling the youth office at LBC. The youth minister (Tshepi) has been working from her home... Phyllis, Amanda and I thought it was time that she have a place of her own, so we've been renovating the kitchen in the old building into an office for her. We have spent long hours fixing walls, decluttering, cleaning, taping, painting, fixing bookcases, fabric shopping, thrift-store hopping etc... etc... Amanda and I have been joking all week that we feel like we're working for Extreme Home Makeover. It's been really fun to see it all come together. We're praying that this room is a comfortable and safe place for Tshepi and the youth (I will post before/after photos when we're done).

Wednesday marked the beginning of our Daniel study. We are probably the youngest in the bunch by 40 years... but the ladies are SO wonderful! They welcomed Amanda and I with endless hugs, cups of tea and kisses on the cheek. I am really excited to learn from their experience and pour love on them. As I mentioned last week, there exists a big disconnect between the older church members and the youth. We really hope to see these women become mentors and prayer warriors for the kids. You can continue to pray that these women will become heartbroken for our young people and that they will join our vision to invest in their lives & reach them in Christ.

It's really exciting to be at the point where we can start building relationships... We have lots of tea dates and dinner invitations. There is a girl in our youth group that I am going to start discipling. Our Wednesday cell-group study and Friday youth night were both awesome this week. Amanda and I are also taking on the Sunday morning youth time... it's really small right now, but it has huge potential. Yesterday was our first time teaching - we taught on listening to the voice of God. The kids were really receptive and we even had some pretty good discussion.

We're going to start working at the orphanage in the next few weeks (just waiting on them to finish some construction), but our days are already filling up quickly! We're learning to be flexible and to be willing to serve in whatever capacity is needed. It is my hope that we will have more time this week to invest in our apartment complex... pray for divine appointments in the coming days.

I apologize that this post has been so scattered... too many things to cover! I am absolutely loving my time here, it's been amazing to see the hand of God at work. Know that I love you all very much and think of you often.

all glory to Him,
Jarah

Psalm 34:8 - "Taste and see that the Lord is good!"

No comments: