nursing school 201.

5.19.2010

I know what you're thinking... "Oh good, another post about nursing school." I don't blame you if you don't want to read another one, but I did promise you a full update. Don't worry, this one is not nearly as bleak as the first. In fact, there is a pretty stark difference between my first and second semester of nursing school. It's not necessarily that things got easier. Actually, my spring semester was a little more rigorous academically. I actually think it was me who had changed.

{me in OR garb after watching a brain surgery}

My schedule was still insanely busy... I had to take 17 credit hours: Global/Community Epidemiology, Nursing Care of Adults, Nursing Care of Adults Clincal, Nursing Research and Cultural Competency/Mutual Respect. Here's the stack of books for my classes this Spring... not quite as intense, although, it's always a bad sign when your text book contains volumes (Medical-Surgical Nursing)!


I still spent a good majority of my time on school work, but my life had better balance to it. Maybe it was because I was "in the groove" from the fall, but I think a lot of it has to do with the conscious decisions I made to stop myself from becoming consumed. I had to learn when enough was enough. I actually had time to spend with friends on Friday nights, and was able to make it to the gym more often. I went to a few movies and spent a lot more time with my family. There were occasions when things got out of balance, but I was faster to notice that tension in myself and take steps to keep things in check.

My clinical group was, yet again, amazing. I absolutely loved my clinical instructor (Melody), I learned so much from her and really appreciated her approach to teaching.


We were at The University of Utah Hospital and had the chance to work on various units: Neuro Critical Care, Surgical Specialty and Transplant Unit, Ortho Trauma and Surgical Services, and many different Operating Rooms. It was a big time of growth clinically - I still have a lot to learn, but am feeling more and more confident as a nurse. Sometimes it seems like that day will never come, but I'm starting to see a small light at the end of the tunnel. It's crazy to think that I've already made it through my first year! It was so full, but also went by so quickly. Only one year to go! And one year sounds so much better than two, right?!?

{xo. jarah}




No comments: