our hearts ache, but we always have joy...

3.09.2009

Happy monday! Wow, this week has been a total blur... our days were long, but good, SO good! I'll try to give a quick recap from each day:

Tuesday (03.03)
Tuesdays are our days off... Amanda and I had a sleep over with Stacie (one of the full time missionaries here). We spent the day learning how to play squash and getting some much need rest in...

Wednesday (03.04)
We had our Daniel study in the morning with our beloved ladies from the church... they have completely blown me away with their kindness and support. It is such a blessing to spend time with them every week! There is a sweet old Scottish woman that has started coming and there is not a week that goes by where she doesn't tell me, "how good it is to have a young american lass in the group." It's been beautiful to see these sweet ladies become prayer warriors for our youth.

After bible study, we took Tshepi out for lunch at the tea garden up the road from our flat (it has become a favorite lunch-date spot). We had really good conversation about God, what He's doing in her life and the vision He has given her for the youth in our church. She is really becoming a good friend! God is blessing her leadership and ministry in awesome ways. On our way back from lunch, we got a call from Nomathemba (one of the girls in our youth group). We spent the rest of the day chatting, watching movies, and making bracelets. She recently immigrated here from Zambia and really opened up to us about her life and struggles. It absolutely fills my heart with joy to be able to spend time with and love on our girls (Lord, thank you for allowing me to be here!)

Thursday (03.05)
This day was definitely the highlight of my week! We FINALLY got to go to the orphanage! Nomathemba came with Amanda and I - we were there from 8:00 in the morning to 6:00 at night. We spent the first part of the day with the "bed babies" (meaning those under 2 years). We fed them breakfast and took them outside to play on the grass. They are SO cute... we had a blast playing with them, holding them, and helping them learn to walk. They are so desperate for love and human touch. I wish I could bring each and every one of them home with me!

The second half of the day we spent with the "big kids." I think that we played duck-duck-goose for two hours. The biggest fascination of the day was my hair - I guess the kids have never seen long hair, they were playing with it ALL day! Echoing what I said about the babies, they all are looking for love and tickles and someone just to hold them. Toward the end of the day a 4 year old little girl climbed into my lap and I just rubbed her back as she fell to sleep... I wish I had words to describe what that did to my heart!

It was such an incredible, yet draining, day! I think that I will be processing the things I see at the orphanage for months to come. I cannot tell you what it does to your heart to look children with HIV/AIDS in the eyes, to hold them, to see their sweet smiles and vibrant personalities... I have seen faces behind the statistics, beautiful and bright faces, and I will never be the same. I left the orphanage feeling so full, but so broken. I don't know that one days experience has ever reached to the depths of my soul like Thursday did...

Friday (03.06)
We went to the World Wide Women's Day of Prayer with the ladies from our Wednesday Daniel study. They thought it would be a great idea to have some young faces represent Lyndhurst at this prayer meeting, so Amanda and I were volunteered. The meeting was held at a beautiful Catholic Cathedral in Maryville (about 20 minutes away from where we live). I read a passage from Romans and Amanda prayed... all in front of a very large crowd of people! It was definitely outside of my comfort zone, but I really enjoyed it. I mean, how often do you get the chance to pray with hundreds of South African women?

Youth on Friday was amazing! The kids had an energy and a spirit that I have not yet seen in them. They shared praises and prayer requests for about an hour. Tshepi gave an awesome message on Isaiah 61:1-3! Man, it was such a fun night...
(Nomathemba, Gele, and Zippho at youth)

Saturday (03.07)
My sweet teammate was really sick, so we spent the day at home... we prepared for Sunday and just hung around our flat.

Sunday (03.08)
We were gone from 8:45 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Church was great... our study is really going well! We went over to Aunt Liz and Uncle Kenny's after for our first African Braai (aka Barbecue in the states). They made SO much food for us! We had such a fun time sitting on their porch, chatting the afternoon away. They really do feel like family! We went to the evening service and then came home and crashed... What a crazy week!

Points for Prayer:
• Amanda and I have both had many sleepless nights - pray that God will give us rest and help us to sleep!
• Our work at the orphanage
• Our relationships with Liz & Kenny (and their son, Gary) as well as Yusef and Asma
• The search for a new pastor (Lyndhurst Baptist Church)

"I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned, in awe of the One who gave it all. I'll stand, my soul Lord to You surrendered. All I am is yours..." -Hillsong United

Sending my love from Africa,
Jarah

p.s. Happy Birthday, Daddy! I love you and miss you!

Isaiah 61:1-3 - The spirit of the sovereign Lord is upon me, for the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to proclaim that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed. He has sent me to tell those who mourn that the time of the Lord's favor has come, and with it, the day of God's anger against their enemies. To all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the Lord has planted for His own glory.


No comments: